Bike & Barge
September 04 - 16, 2019
Join TBSS&B to Provence, France
with two days in Nice - the French Riviera!
The Trip Leader
4141 Central Avenue
St Petersburg, FL 33713
We will fly from Tampa to Lyon France where we will stay 2 nights before departing for the Bike & Barge! We will bike through Avignon, Aramon, Arles, and Aigues-Mortes for 7 nights aboard the Caprice. Among the wilderness of Camargue and the landscapes that were so dear to Van Gogh, you will cycle through delightful Provençal villages, vineyards and fields of sunflowers. Aigues-Mortes is a completely walled town that has changed little in appearance since its glory during the Middle Ages, and Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is ancient, full of history, life, youth, art, music and activity. After a week of biking we will visit Nice for 2 more days before heading home! Trip includes air, transportation, most meals, bike rental & bike insurance and much more!
Physical requirements (Grade 2) - the route is on countryside roads with little traffic in rural and city areas. Daily routes average 28 to 34 miles. Terrain varies from flat to hilly with some climbing involved. Helmet use is mandatory on all bike tours.
- Round trip Air transportation between Tampa and Lyon
- Transfer between Lyon airport and hotel via private coach w/ English speaking assistant. A 2½ hour city tour in route to the hotel is included
- 2 nights accommodations at the 4-Star Lyon Carlton Hotel w/Breakfast included
- Transfer between Lyon and Avignon barge port to meet the ship via private coach with English speaking assistant. Transfer will include stop at Senanque Abbey to photograph the lavender fields.
- 7 nights onboard the Caprice:
- Breakfast buffet daily
- Self-made lunch daily
- 3-4 course dinner daily
- Sheets and towels on board
- Maps and info pack
- English speaking tour leader
- Emergency van in the area on bike tours
- Guided visit of Arles
- Entrance to Pont du Gard
- Harbor charges
- Tea and coffee on board
- Wine Tasting at Chateauneuf-du-Pape
- 21 speed Unisex bike w/Bike Insurance
- Transfer between Aigues Mortes barge port and Nice via private coach with English speaking assistant. A 2½ hour city tour in route to the hotel is included
- 2 nights accommodations at the 4-Star Mercure Nice Grimaldi w/Breakfast buffet
- Transfer between hotel and Nice Airport via private coach with English speaking assistant.
- Medical Insurance coverage that includes all of the following: (This does not cover Cancellations)
- Trip Delay up to $750.00 ($150.00 per day)
- Baggage and personal effects up to $1500.00
- Baggage delay up to $400.00
- Return Air Transportation up to $500.00
- Accident & Sickness Medical Expense of $50,000.00
- Worldwide Emergency assistance Services
(Subject to change)
Day 1: Avignon
Arrival and boarding after 6 p.m. in Avignon. Our mooring place is in Quai de la Ligne, next to the famous Pont St. Bénezet
Day 2: Avignon, round tour, approx. 30 km
Today, we’ll get to the other side of the river Rhone by crossing the island Île de la Barthelasse, and we’ll ride in the typical garrigue landscape, between vineyards and orchards. Before going back, we’ll visit Villeneuve Les Avignon, once known to be the town of the cardinals. In the afternoon, a guided visit will let us discover the historic centre of Avignon.
Day 3: Avignon-Aramon, approx. 40 km
In the morning, we continue on the barge ‘til the town of Aramon, where we will start pedaling. The stage today will bring us to the best preserved Roman aqueduct in Europe: Pont du Gard, a very spectacular work. Overnight, we will stay in Aramon, with a beautiful view of the Mont Ventoux.
Day 4: Aramon-Vallabrègues, approx. 35 km
We start our day sailing to Vallabrègues, a pretty Provençal village on the banks of the Rhône. Along country roads, we will arrive in Barbentane with its castle at the confluence of the Rhone and Durance rivers. We will cycle to the magnificent Abbey of Saint Michel de Frigulet and afterwards down to the medieval village of Boulbon. Overnight, we stay in Vallabrègues
Day 5: Vallabrègues-Arles, approx. 55 km
This stage brings us to Saint Remy de Provence, birthplace of Nostradamus. This village is also famous for hosting Van Gogh in the days of his mental illness. In the end, we move onto the Alpilles, with Les-Baux-de-Provence, a village lodged in the rock itself. A landscape of limestone cliffs and olive trees accompanies your journey.
Day 6: Arles - Aigues-Mortes, approx. 25 km
Today, the whole morning is dedicated to visit Arles, the ancient capital of Gaul with beautiful Roman ruins. We will also have the opportunity to be welcomed by a professional guide, who will accompany us around the jewels of the town. After lunch, we reach the lock of Saint Gilles and from there we will sail to Aigues Mortes for the overnight stay.
Day 7: round tour Aigues-Mortes, approx. 55 km
Going through small country lanes of Camargue between canals, lagoons and small villages, we will reach in the afternoon the charming fishermen’s village Le Grau-du-Roi. There is the possibility of a refreshing bath on the beach.
Day 8: Aigues-Mortes
After breakfast, end of barge services
If you are interested in traveling on this Bike & Barge trip please mail application with deposit ($1,000 check made payable to TBSS&B) to Joe Bayliss, 4141 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, FL 33713. The B&B trips have limited space so travelers will be accepted in the order that the application/deposit have been received.
All cancellations must be received in writing by May 31, 2019. See cancellation policy on the 2nd page of the trip application.
Looking forward to Cruising and Biking with you!
Background photo compliments of RAD + REISEN GmbH